The event is structured in two parts:
- Morning session: 9.00 am to 1.00 pm, with a stronger focus on presentations;
- Afternoon session: 2.00 to 6.00 pm, focusing more on activities (the afternoon session is OPTIONAL).
Tourism is often considered a sector with great potential for linking conservation to economic development. However, as many conservation organisations have limited "business" experience, the ecotourism products and services developed as part of conservation projects often fail the market test. On the other side, a wealth of knowledge and experience exists in the tourism sector, combined with a growing interest and commitment to contribute to the conservation of key destinations.
This Conservation Campus is designed to enable the transfer of skills between the tourism industry and conservation organisations.
The training workshop will be delivered by tourism professionals from Kuoni, a leading global tour operators, and its partners. This training will focus on delivering skills related to (ecotourism ) business development and management including (1) understanding the ecotourism potential of a site and product; (2) business planning; (3) health & safety; and (4) marketing. Instructors from the business sector will share their experience and key learning in these areas; this will be complemented by scenarios building exercises and many opportunities for exchanging with the instructors and among the other participants.
• Ecotourism potential of a site and a product, by Björn Schimanski, Managing Director of Asian Trails Laos
• Business planning, by Björn Schimanski, Asian Trails Laos and Gopinath Parayil (Gopi), Founder and Chief Executive of The Blue Yonder
• Health and Safety, Clay Stayt, GTA and Kuoni Destination Management
• Marketing, Gopinath Parayil (Gopi), Founder and Chief Executive of The Blue Yonder
In addition Matthias Lesinger, Head of Corporate Responsibility for the Kuoni Group and Giulia Carbone, Deputy Head of IUCN’s Business and Biodiversity Programme will provide support during the session.
Members of conservation organizations involved in ecotourism business as part of their conservation programmes are the main target audience of this training. The training will be delivered in English and due to its interactive nature requires a good command of the English language.
Download the Agenda from the Documents Section and read the text book!
This is the fifth edition organized by IUCN, the first of which was one of the most successful Learning Opportunities offered at the Barcelona Congress.