Can manufacturing companies thousands of miles away from the field have an influence on how biodiversity is managed at the local level? Yes, they can, through their supply chains.
In today´s globalized world, many companies in manufacturing and service sectors have recognized and are addressing their dependency on biodiversity for their raw materials. Business is also driven by the recognition that sustainable use is the only way to ensure long term availability of their resources, as well as the need to ensure a continuous license to operate, and to cater for the increasing demand for responsible products. Businesses have responded with different approaches to the integration of biodiversity considerations into their supply chains.
The aim of this workshop is to provide the audience with a flavour of the different approaches and to discuss what are the main strengths and opportunities of each.
Presentations will be short (Ignite style) and will include:
• Ignite 1: Company driven programme: Nespresso’s AAA programme and how they are reaching out to 44,000 farmers, Paulo Barone, Nespresso (5 min)
• Ignite 2: A third party certification programme: Rainforest Alliance- Unilever / Lipton certification programme, Mohammad Rafiq, Rainforest Alliance (5 min)
• Ignite 3: Defining priorities and the baseline for a company’s suppliers programme. PPR’s Environmental Profit & Loss Accounting, Holly Dublin, PPR (5 min)
• Ignite 4: Sector driven programme: TravelLife: Linking tour operators to their suppliers, Matthias Lesinger, KUONI (5 min)
• Ignite 5: A national regulatory system: FairWild as the basis for wild-collected medicinal and aromatic plants regulation in Lebanon, Danna J Leaman, IUCN-SSC Medicinal Plant Specialist Group (5 min)
• Ignite 6: A product stewardship approach: Syngenta product stewardship programme, Juan Gonzalez-Valero, Syngenta (5 min)
• Ignite 7: A robust accreditation process for reliability and credibility: The Forest Stewardship Council’s accreditation scheme, John Hontelez, FSC (5 min)
The audience will be called to provide input on the strengths and opportunities during a "Crowd sourcing" exercise.
Download the agenda from the Documents Section!